What is art to human? In this program, artists and scientists will work closely with human’s closest relative to humans, the chimpanzee, to explore this fundamental question.
This year, we will be using modern technology to create an interactive video work which changes in accordance with the movements of chimpanzees and visitors. The exhibition attempts to go beyond examining the effects of art on chimpanzee and human, and unprecedently challenges the communication between chimpanzee and human through art.
- Dates and Hours
- 2020.3.21 (Sat)~ 3.29 (Sun) 9:20~15:00
*Closed on 3.23 (Mon)
We have changed the opening hours of the exhibition and experiment as a measure against further spreading of COVID-19.
- Ape House Indoor Exhibition Room 3, Kyoto City Zoo
- HITOOSA Kazuki (Artist)
- YAMANASHI Yumi (Principal Researcher, Kyoto City Zoo)
KANO Fumihiro (Kumamoto Sanctuary / Program-Specific Associate Professor, Kyoto University Institute for Advanced Study)
YOSHIDA Nobuaki (Chief researcher, ASTEM RI / KYOTO)
IKKATAI Yuko (Project researcher, Kavli IPMU, The University of Tokyo)
IWAKI Akihisa (Associate Professor, The Department of Cultural Design, Kindai University)
- Open to all
- Ticket and Price
- Free * Admission fee to the zoo applies
- Equipment provision
- Panasonic System Solutions Japan Co., Ltd.
- Kyoto University Institute for Advanced Study/ Wildlife Research Center, Kyoto University
- Talk & Discussion
Artists and researchers involved in the creation and research of this program will discuss in detail the making of the work behind the scenes, as well as the reactions of the chimpanzees and humans in the experiment.
- Date and Hours : 2020.3.28 (Sat) 15:30 ~ 17:00
- Venue : Lecture Room, Kyoto City Zoo
- Audience : Open to all
- Ticket and Price : Free (Admission fee to the zoo is applies.)
- Booking : Required (Seats are offered on a first-come-first-served basis. Some seats are available at the door on the day.)
- How to Book : KYOTO STEAM – International Arts x Science Festival – Executive Committee
- Booking Opens : January 9 (Thu)~ March 27 (Fri)
- Seats : 80 seats
- STEAM THINKING – Art to Create the Future – Challenge from Kyoto Art Cultivates Forum Art, Science and Our Happiness
- STEAM THINKING – Art to Create the Future – Challenge from Kyoto International Art Competition : Start Up Exhibition
- STEAM THINKING – Art to Create the Future – Challenge from Kyoto Art × Science GIG
- STEAM THINKING – Art to Create the Future – Challenge from Kyoto Start Up Dialogue
- Dumb Type New Project Performance 2020
- Classic Literature × Traditional Arts × New Technology Shinsarugakuki ～cirque de kyoto～
- Art × Food Market
- KYOTO STEAM Future Emergence Forum 2020
- Art × Science IN Kyoto City Zoo What do chimpanzees feel in arts ?
- KYOTO STEAM Arts x Science Workshop Series Capturing the Invisible
- Cooperation Program KYOTO Shaping the Future – Urban Dietary Landscape